Sunday, December 6, 2009

P90X Lean: Day 1

So here we are, Day 1 of P90X. I decided to do the Lean program rather than classic because I think weight loss is the most important thing for me right now. I can round off my fitness with some more mass and definition later on. I am 6'3" and weighed in this morning (before my first P90X workout) at 235.8 lbs. When I graduated basic training, I was 195. I would like to get back under 200, and although it won't be easy, I'm prepared to work hard to make it happen.

So my first workout, as per the program, was Core Synergistics. I haven't worked out in about 3 weeks, and although I worked out steadily 4+ times a week for several months prior to this, those 3 weeks off really hurt my fitness. Needless to say, the workout was rough today!

I stuck with it the whole time, and did my best, but some of the exercises were quite foreign to me or they woke up muscles that haven't been used in a long time! I know that nobody starts out perfect, and I'm sure I'll master the exercises in the weeks or months to come. Regardless of my difficulties, it's certainly better than sitting around and doing nothing.

As for specifics, the abdominal exercises in this workout were a little tough for me and I found my core becoming quite shaky while trying to hold positions such as in the banana and superman type exercises. I haven't worked my abs for a while, but I know that shakiness is natural in this case. It just makes me realize how much work I have ahead of me. I've worked abs in the past, quite a bit actually, so I know that strength will return quickly and the abdominal exercises will be more manageable soon.

I kept up pretty decently with the pushups, although there were quite a few in the workout, so my arms started to get pretty shaky towards the end. I really felt the pain when it came to the walking pushups; holding the plank position became pretty difficult!

I must say that the most difficult exercises for me were: the Dreya roll, reach high and under pushups, bow to boat (just due to holding the contraction in my abs for so long), and the plank to chaturanga run. The plank to chaturanga run was difficult for me not only because it was late in the workout, but also because my flexibility has degraded with time as well, and my legs need a good stretch before I master this exercise.

I'm hoping that when it comes time for this Core Synergistics workout again, I'll be more prepared, more flexible, and ready to BRING IT on another level entirely. Overall, I'm proud of myself for taking the initiative to start the program, and for not quitting. I'm not all that disappointed that I couldn't keep up as well as the people on the video, it's only day one for me. 89 to go!

Comments please! I would definitely appreciate as much support as possible!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Logik.
    Congratulations on starting P90X! I ADORE this workout! Your first day sounds great. It's all foreign to everyone who just starts, but you'll get the hang of it...and you WILL see huge improvements in the routines, especially later in the program, like late month 2 early 3rd month. Today should be Cardio X for you...you'll love this one. It goes fast actually...and introduces you to a few other routines as well. Kenpo is my favorite. I'm doing the Classic version even tho I have a lot of weight to lose, I figure build the muscles, burn more fat...and I adore the weight training aspect of P90X. Welcome to a wonderful world..the P90X world. You'll love it!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    Thanks for the support! I actually changed from Lean to Classic, so I guess we're on the same page there. A few people over on the beachbody message boards convinced me that it would actually be better for my fat loss anyway. That means I did Plyometrics today!!! It was certainly rough, especially after core synergistics. If I would have just done chest day 1 then plyo day 2, my legs would have been a little more fresh... but that's ok, I did fine. Hey, when in August is your birthday? Mine's on the 21st. Oh yeah and how long have you been doing P90X classic for anyhow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Logik
    I ADORE P90X, so I'll support anyone who works it....well, I support anyone who is on a journey to create a better health and fitness lifestyle. I'm happy to support you.
    I am on week 11 of Classic. Today was Chest & Back and I killed it, to the point of nausea...LOL. I guess that's what it's all about, eh. Working hard, pushing past our own limits.
    I'm sooo happy for you. You'll find that it becomes addictive. After the first couple of weeks, which will be more of a struggle, the rest of it is smooth sailing, and you'll start to see real progress which just pushes you to push yourself harder. I know you'll love this workout...and you'll love the results too.

    ReplyDelete