Sunday, December 20, 2009

P90X: Day 15

Well, I go from day 13 to day 15... but only because yesterday was my rest day. Again, I wanted to do X Stretch because I hear it's great, but I didn't. I stretched a bit on my own, especially after shoveling snow several times throughout the day. It was the first big snow fall of the season, and I really forgot how exhausting shoveling all that snow can be! There was nearly a foot, and I worked up a pretty good sweat and exhausted myself pretty good shoveling the entire driveway, sidewalk, and walkway. Wow!

Today was Chest and Back, and Ab Ripper X. The chest routine was great. I did the pullups and chinups with the resistance band again, and this time I wrapped it around the hook as many times as I possibly could. The form ended up being much better, and much more difficult. I found that it worked better for me than the pullup bar and chair, because from the stationary seated and/or kneeling position, I am forced to isolate the proper muscle groups. That really added to the workout quite a bit, and towards the end of the second round I reached muscle fatigue fairly quickly on many of the pushups. The decline pushups in round 2 sent me tumbling to the floor actually, so I had to replace them with standard pushups (which were not much easier). Aside from the final set of dive bombers, I did as many pushups as possible in round 2 from the standard position, then went to my knees to squeeze out a few more. I think that really improves the workout, because while you think you've reached muscle failure, going to your knees just lets you fatigue your muscles that much more. In the end, that means more muscle growth, and every bit counts.

Overall, I was very pleased with the chest and back routine today. Ab Ripper X, on the other hand, was not so pleasing. It is the bane of my existence. It is easily my least favorite workout, even though it is the shortest. Go figure that it's the only one I have to do several times a week. Shoveling snow yesterday really screwed up my back, considering the handle on the shovel is only about 3 feet long. I'm too tall, so I have to literally bend all the way over the entire time I'm shoveling snow and lift the heavy, densely packed snow, then toss it. It's really not good. Anyway, for whatever reason, ARX seems to just make my back SCREAM in pain. I did it today anyway, but modified most of the exercises and for some of them I just did crunches or leg raises instead. I think I need to go to the gym and use some of the back and ab machines with weights to strengthen some of my muscles before I can really do well with ARX.

Again, my diet is my worst aspect right now. I'm hoping to improve it, but I just don't know how right now. Otherwise, I feel so much better and regardless of my results or lack thereof, I will continue the program. I'm loving it. I haven't missed a day yet, and although there have been may times where I just don't want to do the exercises... I do them anyway. That's the important thing. Like Tony says, just keep showing up. Do your best, and forget the rest.

Well, that's what I'm doing.

2 comments:

  1. And that's why you'll have results!
    Ab ripper is tough for me after a really good workout. So, I've skipped out on a lot of them. I find my back hurts too...one of my goals for my second round of P90X is to do the ab ripper every time. But, I've decided to do the actual workout in the am, and the ab ripper in the pm. I think for me, it's just too much all at once.
    Yeah, shovelling is the pits. You should get a scoop. Less lifting, more pushing. You get a good body workout in that way too...we have TONS of snow!
    Great job on your workouts so far. Keeping with it when you don't feel like it is whats going to make the difference in your body as well as your journey in general. Keep pushin play, buddy...you'll be a happy guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I know it's going to be rough. I try to stay positive and keep going no matter what, but it's definitely not easy. I didn't expect it to be.

    As far as the snow, it's hard to use a scoop because there is a lot of uneven concrete and stone I have to shovel over, mainly in the front sidewalk and the walkway to my door. The driveway is another story, but I have a snow blower for that. I just chose not to use it so I could be more physical.

    That's a good idea with the ARX later, because I definitely feel like it's just overkill at the end of a rough workout. I need to start working out much earlier in the day though before I can do that.

    ReplyDelete