Friday, December 11, 2009

P90X: Day 6 -- Week 1 wrap

Well I just finished Kenpo X. I'm still doing these workouts later in the night than I would prefer. I think I would be more fresh and rested up early in the morning, but with the semester finished and a rest day coming up tomorrow, I'll try and start out week 2 by working out earlier in the morning.

Overall I'm very pleased with the program so far, and I'm really looking forward to getting great results. I have only done each workout once so far, so I don't really have the opportunity to see improvement in specific exercises yet. I do, however, see an overall improvement in my energy and mood. I feel a load better than before I started this, and that's all I can really ask for at this point. When I get to run through some exercises that I'm now more familiar with next week, I'll be able to show some improvement in specific areas and make note of my progress. I think from week to week this will be really important for me to keep track of, but each day in between the week wraps are just as important because I need to stay motivated to make it to the end of the week. I suppose it would be easier to look at things in terms of weeks rather than days also, considering 90 days sounds like a lot more than 13 weeks. I can look at it as 6 days down, 94 to go... or 1 week down, 12 to go. I'm 6-7% of the way through the program, depending on whether you consider 1 week of 13 or 6 days of 90... either way it's not that bad.

I mean sure... it's difficult... but it's not doing me any harm. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

All in all, I chalk this week up as a success. Looking forward to somewhat of a break tomorrow though!

3 comments:

  1. Are you going to do X Stretch? I really recommend it. After this hard week, your body will thankyou!
    I don't look at it as how far left I have to go...I prefer to just count the days...create the streak. So far, I'm on day 177 of refined-sugar-free/gluten-free, and day 156 of consecutive daily exercise...I love the streaks. With P90X, I just like counting the day/week I'm on...that way instead of thinking, "man! I have x amount of time left?" or "soo far to go" I am just stating the place I am at now. Sometimes looking ahead of how much left there is too do can make a dreaded feeling, or a frustrated negative feeling. For me, it just is. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes- I agree. X stretch is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably should have done it. I skipped it and just stretched on my own, but I'm curious now as to how effective it could have been. I think I'll have to take that into account at the end of this week.

    Lisa, you make a good point about looking at what you've done rather than what you have left to do. Besides, I suppose looking at it the way I was suggesting would imply only running through the program one time and then quitting... in reality it will probably take me 3 or 4 runs through the program to get the results I really want, and I'm fine with that. I just need the willpower and motivation to keep it up that whole time. I suppose you've got a pretty effective way of looking at it!

    I'm used to looking at my progress in school though and thinking, "Man... only two more years left," rather than counting how much I've done already. I guess that's what carried over into this. Maybe I should start looking at my progress in school differently as well? Haha.

    ReplyDelete