Sunday, December 13, 2009

P90X: Day 8 -- Week 2 start

Well I just got finished with Chest & Back, and Ab Ripper X. I feel like I just got hit with a bag of bricks. I didn't do X Stretch yesterday, but perhaps I should have. I don't know what to expect of it really, I just stretched throughout the day and tried to tend to my body as best I could. Today was still a pretty decent workout, but I definitely struggle when it comes to doing loads of pullups. I have a hard enough time doing just a few at the beginning of a normal workout, but when you throw them in as liberally as the Chest & Back routine does... I really feel it. I end up relying way too much on the chair, and I feel like I've got nothing left on my own and I'm basically just standing up on the chair to go through the motions of doing a pull-up. Literally, my muscles felt so fatigued that I couldn't do any "real" pullups. I tried to compensate for this by taking the negative portion of the exercise slowly, controlling my descent. I've always heard that this is a good way to improve your ability to do pullups. We'll see if it works.

My legs are ready for plyometrics tomorrow. The first run though, my legs were incredibly sore from Day 1 of P90X, which was Core Synergistics for me. I was going to do the Lean program, but since I switched I kind of overworked my legs for the first couple of days inadvertently. I hope to see some real improvement there though, and it's definitely going to be a nice break from anything upper body right now. It's a good thing too, because my arms, chest, and back are just spent.

Thanks again for the support folks!

3 comments:

  1. Week one in the bag...week two, here you go.
    Have you considered starting with the pull-ups, but then switching to the bands. I find that I feel the back muscles more.
    Have a good one. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spitfire,
    Good suggestion! Do bands when you are spent. What works for me is that I drink Recovery Drink during the workout instead of after to keep refueling during the course of the workout

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I have a great place set up for the bands that could really work well with that. I'll have to try it. I've yet to do the pullups with the bands, but perhaps it would be more beneficial to me.

    Also, as far as the recovery drink Jeff, I have been using something called Endorush for quite a while. It's always helped me out really well DURING exercises, and if you're particularly smoked afterwards, it livens you up a bit too! I suggest you try it out, it's at GNC. I buy it by the case!

    ReplyDelete