Sunday, December 6, 2009

Introduction

So I've decided to start P90X in an attempt to get in incredible shape and feel great about life in general. Many people have seen successful results from this program, and with lots of hard work and dedication, it's only a matter of time before I follow suit. I'm creating this blog to track my progress, post my thoughts, and hopefully inspire some people later on down the road.

I'm hoping to get a little bit of support from friends and other members of the beachbody community, so please comment and keep up with me here!

A little bit of background information on me may be necessary. First, I'm 24 years old and I'm realizing that if I don't start getting in shape now, it will never happen. I spent a few years in the Army as an Infantryman, but since then my level of fitness has steadily declined. I'm going to change that though, and dedicate myself fully to succeeding in this new program.

Now, I titled this blog "Self-Improvement X" for a reason. It's not just P90X or fitness that I'm focused on entirely, it's improving my life in every aspect. I thoroughly believe that in order to be happy and successful in life, you can not have tunnel vision about your goals. What I mean by this is simply that to neglect certain aspects of your life while in the persuit of success in other areas is to doom yourself to certain overall failure. For example, let's say that in your endless persuit of a higher level of fitness you neglect your financial responsibilities and lose your job. Well, maybe you're in shape now, but with money problems it's only a matter of time before you can't support your healthy habits anymore, and everything you have worked for becomes erased. You won't be able to afford a gym membership, supplements, fitness supplies, good running shoes, or a healthy diet. Let's face it, getting in shape costs money, especially with a good diet. You can go to any fast food joint and get a meal for a few bucks, but you'll be paying for it in many other ways; clogged arteries and a fat ass are just a few examples.

I have gradually come to these realizations over time, as I've started to recognize the need for balance in my life. Without getting too philosophical, I'll just say that I see balance in every aspect of existence, and I have come to accept it as the universal binding factor that makes everything just work.

So here I am, ready to take my fitness and health to the next level. Recently, I quit smoking cigarettes... which alone is a big step in the right direction. My lungs will need some time to fully recover, but I feel much better already. Kicking any unhealthy addictions you may have is step 1 of creating a better life for yourself. This includes alcohol as well. I intend to limit my alcohol intake severely throughout the course of this program, or cut it out completely. If I do have a drink, believe that the calories will be accounted for!

So, my diet is under control, my unhealthy addictions swept away, and my attitude is positive. That's a great place to start.

Now, I'll try to post here daily, or as much as possible. I already started the first day of P90X today, but since this post is mainly an introduction, I'll continue with the specific details of Day 1 in my next post.

I'll be adding pictures at some point as well. Check in for that!

1 comment:

  1. I think that you may be wise beyond your years. Seriously. Many people take years to figure out the balance part. Sometimes we know it, but life gets in the way, and we lose it along with ourselves. That's what happened to me. Anyway, you definitely are set up for success. I LOVE your attitude, and I know that with such positivity, you will achieve all that you set out to accomplish. I'm a huge believer in the power of positivity! Welcome to the P90X lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete