Tuesday, December 15, 2009

P90X: Day 10

Hey, what do you know? I'm in the double digits now, day 10. I'm feeling great after doing the Shoulders & Arms routine. That's one of my favorite so far, just because I'm more used to the exercises and it makes me feel good that I can keep up with the whole routine. Although, I need to experiment more with different weights, but I am somewhat limited in my choices right now. I'd like to get a full set of dumbbells soon though. For some exercises, the bands work great... but on others, I feel like the bands just don't give me enough resistance on the bottom of the movement. I put loops in them and try to give more resistance for the exercises I use them for, but for others I feel like that just isn't enough. Overall though, the routine went well today.

I skipped Ab Ripper X today. I just did it 2 days ago I believe, but my back is very sore and I think I would be better off skipping it. I'm still suffering from a back injury from the military, so I try to be cautious about certain things. Yoga tomorrow, if I'm not mistaken, will require me to be quite limber anyhow. I had some problems with it last week because of a sore back, so I'd like to be closer to 100% this time around. Some of those yoga stances are hard enough as it is!

Also, I really feel like I need to get my diet where it needs to be. I can't seem to eat right. I mean, I choose healthy foods as much as possible and try to space my meals out throughout the day, but it's not enough. Maybe I just have to get used to it and set some timers on my phone or something. I'm thinking perhaps I should even plan on my meals for the entire day and calculate calories the night before. I have a tendency to eat too little early on, which makes me extremely hungry later on. It would probably be better to consume more calories earlier rather than later, because if I sleep on it my body will not metabolize the calories. I skipped breakfast all together today, and didn't eat anything until around 4:30 PM. I know, that is really bad.... I had 1 cup of fat free cottage cheese (160 cal), a can of Progresso Light chicken and dumpling soup (160 cal). About an hour and a half later, I had two cheeseburgers with fat free cheese and light buns, with lettuce, tomato, and ketchup. I followed that up with two 90 calorie Special K cereal bars for "dessert" at 180 calories, and 2 cups of fat free milk (roughly 160 calories).

This brings my caloric intake for the day to about 700 calories. Under that really. It's definitely a caloric deficit, but because I ate everything in such a close time span, I feel like I over ate at the time. Also, it doesn't help my metabolism at all. My body will slow down my metabolism because irregular eating patterns will mean that it doesn't know when its next meal will be. My body will store more calories this way, rather than burn them for energy. I will feel more fatigued because of this, and I will not lose weight. So, I know this to be true... what do I do about it? Well, I definitely need to plan some things out. I know that eating 5-6 small meals a day, preferably low on carbs (especially later in the afternoon), is the best thing for me. I just can't seem to do that though. Maybe setting alarms on my phone for every 2.5 hours, reminding me to eat, combined with planning out my meals for the day, will help me eat better. Any ideas from anyone here?

Anyway, tomorrow is a new day, and hopefully I can manage to eat better. Once I get in the groove of eating right and at the right time for a few weeks, I'm sure my body will adjust and it will become second nature. I just get a bit down about my diet when I don't manage to eat the way I should though. That needs to change! Despite the imperfections in my diet, I'm still feeling much better now that I've decided to do P90X and commit to success.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Justin. At least you recognize the problem. I wouldn't count calories though. That gets too obsessive. I believe what after a couple of weeks eating on the right schedule, your body will learn that it's hungry and give you those signals. Try putting a note beside your bed, or somewhere you will see it first thing,and remind yourself to eat breakfast. Tell yourself to have your yogourt, or cottage cheese, or cereal. Eventually, your body will get used to this. I think that you're eating the right foods, you just need to reeducate your body, and train it to recognize that it needs food.
    This is totally something you can change. And then, just watch you melt all that 'goo' as Tony says.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I calculated calories today but not religiously, more just so that I know exactly what I'm consuming and I'm able to gauge where I'm at. I don't plan on doing that forever. I did put a note out for myself though, and stuck to the plan. Thanks for the advice! I had two hard boiled eggs and a bowl of some of the more healthy oatmeal (higher in carbs than I would like though) for breakfast. While I made the hard boiled eggs, I planned out my meals and meal times on paper. It helped a lot, and I wasn't even able to eat everything I had planned.

    And I definitely need to keep it up to melt all this "goo" hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! The food part is tricky in the beginning, but soon, it'll just be old hat. Seriously. You're going to start seeing results soon, and I bet you already FEEEL them now. Proud of ya! Making a health/fitness journey is time consuming, and requires dedication and commitment to yourself...and when a person has such a full plate as yourself..well...you should feel all the more proud of the effort you do make. I love that at such a young age you've learned that YOU are important, and health and fitness is KEY to that.

    ReplyDelete